Last year was the year of exploration for me with trying different things with Bargello and different types of finishing techniques. This year I decided to focus on exploring all kinds of stitches, their variations, and how I might make my own variations. I also wanted to explore the impact of different types of threads and ground cloth on various types of stitches.
This exploration will also include stitches associated with several techniques, such as Hardanger, Pulled Thread, Drawn Thread, Japanese Embroidery, Brazilian Embroidery, etc. I will also continue to explore new ways to finish my needlework – especially three-dimensional type ways of finishing.
For the Long and Short Stitch, I will also be exploring the following:
- Long and Short Stitches used in different shapes
- Differences between Long and Short Stitch and the Satin Stitch
- Differences between Long and Short Stitch and other types of “straight stitches”
- How different threads change the look of Long and Short Stitch
- How different ground cloths change the look of the Long and Short Stitch
For the Chain Stitch, I will be exploring the following:
- All kinds of variations (such as Open Chain Stitch, Heavy Chain Stitch, Twisted Chain Stitch, Double Chain Stitch, Crested Chain Stitch, Cable Chain Stitch, Feathered Chain Stitch, etc)
- Composite chain stitches
- How different threads change the look of the Chain Stitch
- How to use multiple colors in the Chain Stitch
- How different ground cloths change the look of the Chain Stitch
I hope you will join me on this journey. Please ask questions, share experiences – I will also gladly take suggestions or requests for stitches, threads or ground cloths that you would like to see explored. I hope you have fun with me on this journey and enjoy our year of the stitch!